1.25.2011

Eye on Fashion: Spotlight on Yanni J.



Today I'm going to be talking about something I very rarely cover on my blog: fashion. Not that I'm fashionably-disabled but I really don't spend too much time in the mornings worrying about what to put on, what goes well with what, and how I need to buy a new bag/shoes/accessory. It's just not my thing. If I had it my way, I would have a stylist on hand for big events and for shopping purposes. Fashion-forward friends love dressing me up and giving me tips but unfortunately when I need them the most, they are usually unavailable. I'm actually shocked when I meet someone who wants fashion advice from me since I believe everything I put together that looks good is accidental. Sounds funny, but it's true.

On January 18th, a friend of mine named Yannique Joseph (left) launched her website which she simply calls Yanni J. In hopes of becoming a fashion stylist, Yanni J. held her Fashion Premiere at The Griffin in the Meatpacking District. The venue screams sexy extravagance, with the centerpiece of crystal chandeliers setting the stage for NYC's most fashionable to make their grand entrance. The dreary rain didn't keep her loyal supporters away, take a look of how we celebrated in style:

Event Recap video


I also got a chance to interview Yanni after the event, so you can find out about her in her own words!


Q:
When did you know for sure that your passion and your career would be in the fashion industry?

I knew that my passion and career would be in the fashion industry while I was in college. When I first entered, I had no idea of what my major would be, I was so confused! I always knew that I wanted to do something in fashion but I did not know what it would be right away. I ended up majoring in Business Entrepreneurship with hopes of one day opening my own boutique, graduated college and received a job as a clothing merchandiser and now I'm here! The steps were gradual but I knew I would eventually do something I loved.

Q: What avenues lead you to branching out on your own?

I come from a family of entrepreneurs so it's kind of in my blood! But another factor that lead me to branch out on my own was being laid off from my job as a merchandiser and just being at jobs I didn't love. I wanted a career that I would love and styling has been the only one that makes me feel at peace.

Q:
What is your go-to store for affordable and stylish finds?


For affordable and stylish finds I shop VINTAGE!! Whether online or actual stores, vintage is the way to go for all things stylish and affordable. I can never go wrong when I shop in Vintage stores. I always leave with something
.


Q: What are 5 things every woman must have in her closet/Why?

1. LBD (Little Black Dress): Whether you get a last minute invite to a wedding, party, etc., the little black dress is the "go to" piece. There are numerous amounts of styles, casual, sexy, dressy and black is so easy to accessorize.

2. Platform pumps or booties: In my experience of wearing tons of heels I find that platforms are the most comfortable as opposed to just a stiletto heel without a platform. The platform gives some extra support and cushion to the balls of your feet.

3. A great fitting pair of jeans: This is almost like a no brainer but some women still don't have that perfect pair of jeans yet. Jeans can be dressed up or down and they are timeless so why not have a pair that fits perfectly?

4. A clutch purse for parties/night outings: Not every woman likes them because they prefer bigger bags, but clutches are made in all different sizes and when you're going out to a party I feel a big handbag is so uncomfortable! And now there are even crossbody styles that are also great for parties so I swear by them. I own so many different styles and colors.

5. A leather jacket: Another timeless piece that will never go out of style. There are so many different ones to choose from motorcycle to aviator to classic. And they can be paired with a girly dress and heels to toughen up the look or with jeans or trousers for a more dressed down look. Everyone should own a leather both men and women alike!

Q: What is your advice for recent graduates (or even those who are still in school) who want to pursue fashion? What avenues would you suggest for them?

My advice would be to intern! And it doesn't have to be only one. Try to intern for as many different companies/positions as you can. It's a great way to gain experience and to build ties and contacts. I still keep in contact with my past internships and if I ever need assistance for anything I know I can go to them so interning is always key. You can check fashion career websites and other fashion publications for postings.

Hope you got some tips!

1 comment:

Yvey said...

Great post, I love it! Just let me design at least one of your gowns when you're on the red carpet. :)

Yvonne